Advanced oral care technology around the world and manufacturing of different oral care products has led even the elders preserve their teeth naturally for a longer time. But, there are a few elders who just smile and say that tooth decay, tooth loss, cavities, gum diseases, mouth infection etc. are a part of the natural ageing process. For them, paying little attention and giving extra care to the mouth can extend the life of teeth for many more years.
Oral Diseases that challenge as you age:
You can find a certain disease that pops up as you age and you might not have seen those during your younger days. A few of them are,
- Dry mouth
- Enamel wears down and cavity development
- Root decay
Here, we discuss 10 amazing tips to keep your mouth healthy as you age. Just keep reading and find out the ways to have a radiant look as you smile.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with an electric toothbrush to remove tartar- causing plaques. Opt for fluoride-containing toothpaste to prevent cavities, tooth decay and to strengthen the roots.
- To keep your gums and teeth healthier, avoid drinking alcohol and quit your smoking habits. Include this as a part of your routine oral hygienic practices to prevent staining, tooth decay and gum diseases. Drinking alcohol also causes oral cancers and dry mouth. It’s better to avoid if you need a shiny, white tooth.
- Drinking tap water is one source to load fluoride content as it can help to slow down the breakdown of enamel caused by acids.
- Practise a good flossing technique to remove the foods that are hidden in between the teeth. As you age, using oral hygienic devices for flossing will be difficult. So, speak to your dentist and seek his advice to provide the best alternative devices for flossing.
- Limit snacks and other acidic drinks that are loaded with sugars. This can cause tooth decay. So always, opt for tooth-friendly foods that can protect your teeth from damages.
- Use antibacterial mouth wash after you brush your teeth to prevent the bacterial accumulation.
- Always keep a track on the medications you use, as certain medications can leave your mouth dry. If you experience any symptom, call your doctor immediately. Your doctor may change the medicines or over-the-counter mouthwash to prevent it from getting worse.
- You can chew sugar free gums after meals to increase your saliva flow and to neutralize acids.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. This keeps all your diseases at bay.
- Regular check-up and visit the dentist is must to do as you age. Your dentist will do a thorough dental examination and will help you to know how frequently the dental check-up is required to keep your mouth healthy. If required, your dentist will suggest doing basic clean up to remove the accumulated tar and plaques from your teeth. Also, he may recommend mouth wash or toothpaste to prevent any gum diseases from entering in. Buy medicines online from reputed online pharmacy store as a step towards the prevention of bacteria’s and other oral diseases.
The above-listed are a few tips you can follow to maintain a healthy smile as you age and keep all oral health issues at bay. If you need any assistance, book an appointment with a dentist immediately!