If you live in an area prone to flooding, it is crucial to have a sump pump installed in your home. Otherwise, you risk damage to your home and belongings. Lets talk about what a Sump Pump is?
Here are nine important things you should know about a sump pump.
1. What is a Sump Pump?
A sump pump removes water from a low-lying area, such as a basement or crawl space. The pump discharges the water either outdoors or into the municipal sewer system.
2. How does a Sump Pump Work?
A sump pump works by drawing water in from the surrounding soil and pumping it out of the house. Usually, the pump is in a pit or basin called a “sump”.
3. When Should I Use a Sump Pump?
You should use a sump pump when water accumulates in your home’s basement or crawl space. The pump will remove the water and prevent it from seeping into your home.
4. What Size Sump Pump Do I Need?
The size of the sump pump you need depends on the size of your home and the amount of flooding you are prone to. You can consult with a plumbing professional to determine what size sump pump is right for you.
5. How Often Should You Check The Sump Pump?
You should check your sump pump regularly to ensure that it is working properly. The best time to check is after a big storm when there is a greater chance that the pump will be activated.
6. The different types of sump pumps
There are two types of sump pumps available on the market:
Pedestal pumps sit above the water level in the pit, while submersible pumps are located below the water level. Most sump pumps are now submersible, as they are more reliable and efficient than pedestal pumps.
7. Choose the right sump pump for your home
When choosing a sump pump, you should consider the following factors:
- The amount of water handled by the pump in an hour
- The height to which the pump can discharge the water
- The type of power supply (electricity or battery)
8. How to install a sump pump
If you are installing a sump pump yourself, you should follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. In general, you will need to do the following:
- Dig a hole in the ground for the pit or basin
- Install the pump in the pit and connect it to the discharge pipe
- Attach a battery or plug in the pump
- Cover up the hole around the pit with dirt and concrete
It is best to have a plumbing professional install your sump pump for you. They will ensure that it is installed correctly and that it meets all of your home’s flooding protection needs.
9. How to maintain your sump pump for optimal performance
Maintenance of a sump pump for optimal performance includes cleaning the pump and checking the hoses and pipes for leaks. You should also test the pump regularly to make sure it is functioning correctly.
Having a sump pump installed in your home is essential for preventing water damage during periods of heavy rainfall. ‘58 Foundations is a waterproofing company that can help you install a sump pump in your home. Contact them today for more information.