Bed bugs are notorious; takes our peaceful sleep away with their bites. Horrible indeed! Thus, we all want to get rid of them. But as we know prevention is always and by far better than cure. Here are 10 easy tips that you can follow to prevent bed bugs from your house; successfully and efficiently.
- Identification: If you suspect an attack of bedbugs at first make sure that you have really been attacked by bed bugs, not fleas and ticks. You can identify bed bugs, fleas, and ticks comparing their pictures on Identifying bed bugs page.
- Skip Insanity: People often get insane with the name of bedbugs. It is because they think that it’s impossible to eliminate bedbugs. You need to be careful; don’t throw away your things outside being panicked. Most of your valuable things can be treated and saved from bugs.
- Pest Management: While approaching be comprehensive. You might try Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to control and limit the number of bedbugs before applying pesticides. Even if you need pesticides, follow the directions of a professional.
- Keep your home clean: A messy and cluttered home allows bugs to hide easily and makes them locating harder. You should use special bed bug covers and box springs to prevent bedbugs. Moreover, you must cover power outlets and while traveling use vacuum sealed bags for clothing to prevent bedbugs attack from hotels.
- Regular cleaning and washing: To reduce the number of bedbugs, regularly wash using laundry and heat-dry your blankets, bedspreads, bedsheets, and other clothing that might touch the floor. Make sure to clean laundry containers to keep them free from bedbugs too.
- Incapability of DIY freezing: Many people apply freezing to kill bedbugs, but it’s extremely difficult for the temperature needs to be kept very low for a long period. Moreover, our regular freezers lack the capacity of creating enough cold to kill bedbugs.
- Use of heat: If you are thinking to kill bedbugs with heating, our suggestion would be to avoid it. Use of thermostat or heaters won’t work. Rather you need to go for special tools and very high temperature to kill bedbugs with heat. Remember, bedbugs die at 45°C (113°F).
- Stop passing: As bedbugs are extremely great hitchhikers, they may pass to your neighbors while you throw away your used mattress or furniture. Be careful to stop bedbugs hitchhiking before throwing away your old things.
- Use natural remedy: Instead of using pesticides, use natural remedies to kill bedbugs to reduce their numbers. You can use- Diatomaceous Earth powder, Cayenne Pepper, Ginger, and Oregano Bed Bug Fighting Spray, tea tree oil, Lavender and Peppermint Oil Pesticide Spray and Peppermint Leave to get rid of bedbugs.
- Vacuuming and Steam cleaning: Whenever you clean your home fully, a steam cleaning of everything in a high-temperature and vacuuming of hiding places might effectively control any infestations of bedbugs. Vacuuming once in a fortnight is quite appreciable to control bedbug’s infestations in your home.
Bed bugs are indeed an extra pressure in our day to day life, biting us to leave sores and destroying our energy. These easy to follow tips will come handy to prevent bed bugs in your home and office only to keep your full attention to work.