In terms of surgical procedures, circumcision in men remains the oldest procedures that date back to ancient Egyptian practices. Experienced and skilled surgeons take over this procedure on adult men who walk into clinics requesting the cut to get rid of the excess foreskin. There are several reasons why men opt for adult circumcision including religious, health and cultural reasons. For others, it is a personal preference and men who prefer to keep away from different health issues keep this as the top choice.
However, this is a common surgical procedure in infants, where parents are the people behind making the decision for their sons when they are born. Based on results from the CDC, the percentage of men who opt for the surgery is about 80%, especially when they are infants.
The major aim of opting for this procedure is that it helps with the removal of the excess penis skin. This refers to the “foreskin of the penis,” or the loose skin fold covering the tip of the penis.
In terms of surgical accuracy, the technique and the recovery phase both differ in adults and infants, but the results are often the same. Surgeons who specialize in the adult circumcision basics use a scalpel to make incisions. Using the best quality sutures, they seal the incisions, which is ideal for the intricate procedure.
As a routine procedure, men choose this surgery for religious and medical reasons but they do not need to worry about any form of precautionary measures to achieve appropriate results. When it comes to the aesthetic appearance of the surgery, there are varying outcomes, and this depends on the actual amount of care that you give and the steps you need to follow.
The Pre-Surgery Considerations
Taking care before the surgery is quite an important aspect, especially a week before the surgery. The top considerations you have to focus on also include:
- Ensuring that your friends and family take you to your home after the surgery, and make sure that you avoid driving to your home by yourself
- Consult your healthcare providers properly to get a clear idea of the total days you need to abstain from intercourse, before the procedure
- Before the surgery, you also need to ensure that you consult the right Circumcision Center expert to guide you about some of the best medications that you will need like aspirin and other medicines
- In some cases, you may also require tests like urine tests, or blood tests, coupled with scans like an ECG, or a chest x-ray. For more details, you should seek the help of the expert and keep a record of all the tests and scans
- At the time of the consultation, take the list of the medicines you have and mention the ones that you take regularly. If in case you experience some kind of allergic reactions to the medicines that you have, you need to inform your specialist. Furthermore, using food supplements, herbs, and alternative medicines are something preferable, but you need to get some expert advice first.
- Before the circumcision surgery, you also have to learn about the best diet plan to follow. Keep a record of the different types of food that you like and the best one to suit your stomach or not. You need to give this a serious thought because sticking to a healthy diet plan is the key to ensuring that your health remains in the best condition
- If you struggle with a health condition or diseases such as bleeding disorders, heart problems, kidney problems, or diabetes, consult your surgeon before you decide to go under the knife. Before the procedure, if you have sores or wounds in your genital areas, consult your circumcision expert
- In addition, before the surgery, your surgeon will ask you about your surgical record, whether you had any surgical procedures on your penis in the past. This also means procedures on your lower genital tract and abdomen
At the Time of the Surgery
Before the surgery, your plastic surgeon will also use some medicines to help you to enhance your relaxation state. They will further inject you with a local or regional anesthesia, which is an important step to help numb the surgical area and take you into a deep but short sleep. Sometimes, the use of numbing creams on the penis top helps to keep the pain threshold minimal. The use of anesthetics is an important phase because it helps to stop the pain to the penis at the time of the surgery. To clean the genital area, it is best to use some antiseptics and water.
Surgeons in adult circumcision use either the sleeve resection or dorsal slit technique, but they make sure to remove any excess amount of loose foreskin. Using electrocautery, they stop the bleeding. Before and after the procedure an advice for you is to ask your surgeon for the best care tips to follow.